Packing & Moving house Tips
Moving to a new home can be a daunting experience for some and a very hectic time for most.
Many of us can recount stories involving mini disasters that have happened while we were moving. Most of these stories involve packing or unpacking and the loss or breakage of something that was important to us.
The benefit of these stories, however, is to learn from other people’s mistakes. We have put together some packing tips and helpful hints to help you avoid making the same mistakes.
1. Start by being Organised
The first thing that you need to think about when you are packing up your home is how you will organise it. You need to make sure that you keep track of what you are moving so that you have a detailed inventory you can refer to later. A good way of doing this is to use a coding system such as Dining 1,2,3, Kitchen 1,2,3 and so on. You could then enter this label in a spreadsheet and itemise the contents of each box. In this way it is easier to locate items when you move to your new house.
2. Start the Process early
The sooner you start packing, the better off you will be. Starting late, or close to your moving date will only create a rush, making this time even more stressful than it already is. Once you do get started, you will see how fast the packing process actually goes. The best way to start is to pack only things that you do not use every day. These things will not be missed when they are packed away early. They will also be the first things to be loaded into a moving van or truck rental.
3. Get the right Materials
It’s important to have all the right materials on hand before you start packing. If you have to stop in the middle to run out and buy something that you have forgotten, then you are simply adding time to the project. Here is a suggested list of the most common items that you will need.
- Moving boxes. Make sure that they are strong and durable.
- Packing Tape. Make sure that you are using professional grade packing tape as masking tape and other tapes will not support fully packed moving boxes.
- Newsprint or bubble wrap. You will need some sort of material to wrap delicate items in. You can find various materials at any moving or packaging store.
- Plastic bags. Get a variety of different sizes to fit your different needs. These are very helpful in keeping small parts together with the items that they belong to.
- Markers. The bigger the marker, the better it will be. You will be using markers to label bags and boxes. Consider getting multiple colors so that you can color code your boxes according to your coding method.
4. Make sure you wrap everything
You should always wrap up your breakables, no matter what size or shape that they may be. The only exception to this rule is if you have the original packaging. The original package is always the safest way to transport fragile items such as computers or electronic goods.
Remember that newspaper may leave ink smudges on your things, so consider bagging items first or using an alternative such as blank newsprint or bubble wrap.
5 Secure Packing Tips
Make sure that you secure box bottoms well so that they do not give way while being moved. A good tip here is to criss cross the flaps for strength and then use packing tape to secure the bottom of the box. Create a staging area near the front door for completed boxes to be placed.
If you start early and follow these tips, then you are sure to have a stress-free moving experience.
Back to Our Vehicles